23rd November 2013
Billesley Common
Att: 1081
London Welsh
Match Report
Match Feed

Seb Stegmann crossed twice as London Welsh made it nine wins from nine to further strengthened their position at the top of the Greene King IPA Championship table.

Justin Burnell’s side have shown a liking for the challenge on their travels so far this season, and there were shades of recent wins to Leeds and Rotherham in Saturday’s victory over Moseley at Billesley Common.

Coming into the game on the back of three consecutive wins, the home side threw the proverbial kitchen sink at Welsh, particularly in the first half, only to be blunted time and time.

Caolan Ryan gave Moseley the lead but the Exiles soaked up the early pressure and took their chances when they came – Stegmann and Carl Kirwan going over within a five minute spell.

The home side capitalised on the sinbinning of Ian Nimmo for hooker Rhys Buckley to touchdown for his fifth try of the season, but Stegmann’s superb second half solo effort settled matters.

Welsh braced themselves for an early onslaught from a Moseley high in confidence and intent on being the first to take the scalp of the league leaders. It never really materialised however.

While there was plenty of attacking intent from the home side, with William Owen and the pacey Matthew Williams both showing flashes, the Welsh defence was largely untroubled.

Ryan’s opening attempt at the posts slipped just wide, but the fly half made amends five minutes later when Tom May was penalised at the breakdown.

On the balance of play it was a deserved lead, with the home side enjoying the bulk of the possession, but Welsh had yet to show themselves as an attacking force. Going behind seemed to spark them into life, however, and May was denied in the corner.

But a Moseley knock on gave Welsh a five-metre scrum, and the Exiles were clinical. Nick Scott and Ben Pienaar took it up, sucking in defenders, as the away side went across the width of the pitch, before Stegmann forced his way over in the opposite corner from close range. Davies added the conversion.

Having absorbed what Moseley could throw at them, it was a clinicalness that must have pleased head coach Justin Burnell, and five minutes later Welsh were in again.

Davies pushed a penalty – earned by his pack a scrum – into the corner. From the lineout the away side again used the full width of the park, with Scott keeping the attack alive before being bundled into touch. Sonny Parker set up the ruck and Kirwan, reviving memories of his try at Nottingham, bulldozed his way over the line. Davies converted.

A lovely break and offload by Seb Jewell to find Stegmann nearly had Welsh in for a third try, as Nathan Trevett rumbled up to the tryline, but instead it was Moseley that struck.

The home side might have scored out wide but full back Anthony Carter held on to the ball when he had two men outside him, with one being Williams. However, advantage was being played with referee Darren Gamage going back to brandish a yellow card in the direction of Nimmo.

The home side took immediate advantage as Buckley was driven over from the lineout and Ryan added the extras to see the home side go in to the break trailing 14-8.

Welsh negotiated the remainder of Nimmo’s yellow card without further alarm – the boot of Ross forcing Moseley to play from deep.

Davies had the chance to extend the Welsh lead, but his long range attempt stayed wide of the right hand upright. Moments later, though, the Exiles killed the game off. Welsh worked the ball wide to Stegmann and although there looked to be nothing on, the winger cut inside and outside several Moseley tacklers before stretching to score.

Davies converted and then added a penalty to leave the home side three scores adrift. They never looked like closing the gap. The only downside was that Welsh were unable to secure the bonus-point try in the 20 minutes that remained, as well as the high penalty count against the visitors. Alec Hepburn receiving Welsh’s second yellow card late on.

It had been another dogged performance by Welsh on their travels. They’ll face another such challenge next weekend when they visit Bedford Blues.

Moseley scorers:    
Tries: Buckley; Pens: Ryan.

London Welsh scorers:
Tries: Stegmann (2), Kirwan; Cons: Davies (3); Pens: Davies.

Yellow cards: Ian Nimmo (36mins), Alec Hepburn (72mins).

Referee: Darren Gamage
Referee Assistants: Marcus Caton & Chris Sharp
Half-time: 8-14

Sponsors of London Welsh RFC
London Welsh Membership